Friday, June 03, 2005

Eye Article Redux
So I had a self-penned piece in the most recent eye magazine. Here is where to read it:
http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_06.02.05/arts/comedy.html
(just copy and paste that link)
I was a little bummed I couldn't find a way to talk about good rooms and comics.
First of all, Alan Park mentioned a couple of people when I spoke with him-Terry Clement and Kliph Nesteroff. I've never seen the former, but totally stand by the latter. I really hope he keeps trying to entertain people. Kliph Nesteroff is from Vancouver and had a lot to do with yelly and hilarious Shecky Grey. terry Clement I have never seen, but only heard good things about. He's a comic who works a lot at Yuk Yuk's but who sounds like he's always trying new and weird stuff.

Another exciting thing is Righteous Wednesdays at the Oasis. Each show will be interesting. The first, Let's Get Hot, booked and hosted by Chris Locke of the Gurg, was great. Really fun and the comics he got were good. Plus it was PWYC. Also, Chris is a really creative and funny comic too, whose ability to bring random thoughts together into a cohesive thought-cake is neat.

The second wednesday is Brian Barlow(the other guy in the Gurg)'s Loner Show--a very unique and great show, where comics Brian picks do pieces they normally wouldn't need to, like read stories or perform monologues. It all still has to be funny, and most often is. Plus, Brian always hosts as a character and is consistently hilarious. the one on June 8th is gonna be great, too. It's jam-packed with people who are all gonna do 3-5 minute pieces. it's all PWYC.


Jared Sales, who hosts the Side Show, another monthly wednesday thing at the Oasis,puts on Canker alongside Daryn Macintyre, and their one year anniversary is tonight, June 3rd. Knock Knock Who's There Comedy, the Gurg and The Distractions are all playing, as well as Fraser Young, Aaron Berg, Joe Ross and many more. It'll be really fun and I belive it's $5. It's been a good room all year.

Comics like Makesi Arthur, Mack Lawrenz, Sara Hennesey, Deborah Robinson, and many more(but especially RANDY HUGHES-who plays Joke Club next tuesday and is an event to see) also continue to leave me happy about jokes in this city.
I'm getting tired, so I'm just gonna leave a flyer up for tonight's big show:
Cinecycle, 8PM sharp, $10:
BAYONETTES
CAREER SUICIDE
BRUTAL KNIGHTS
FUCKED UP
CLOROX GIRLS
THE OBSERVERS
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why you no write-a me back? You make-a me sad.

Ma Flanagan